Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Not a New Post...but for Completeness Sake

I'd like to point out that this is a post I made quite a few days ago in response to the 8.9 magnitude earthquake that struck Japan on March 11, 2011.

I initially thought I would start my blogging adventure on Tumblr and this was the 1st post, but as I think I will be using Blogger instead, I wanted to consolidate it in for completeness.



Before I start, I’d like to extend my heart out to the people of Japan as many before me have already done.
I cannot begin to imagine what people are going through in that devastated country.  This of course extends out to the people indirectly touched by these events.  The many stories of people searching for their loved ones and not having the means to contact them to see whether they are OK is another type of torture.

It is heartening and disheartening the responses of the other countries in the world in regards to the earthquake.  It is good to see that many leaders/countries of the world still have compassion and have almost immediately expressed their willingness to provide any help to the people of Japan after the disaster struck.
At the same time, it is very disheartening to see young people’s comments of ‘karma’ and how Japan deserve these horrible chain of events due to the ‘Pearl Harbour’ event.  What strikes me as odd is that many of the commenters are too young to have directly or even really indirectly affected by Pearl Harbour.  It is not to say that what happened in Hawaii is to be dismissed, but many do not see that the Japanese people suffered from the war as well.  Just think about the Hiroshima and Nagisaki bombings.

Anyways I digress, I hope that people will take the time to think through their thoughts before spewing such destructive remarks.

What I’ve seen on the news and the stories and comments made in regards to these recent events, I’ve started to think about the lives that we live here in the Americas.  Even with the many volunteers streaming on planes and other transportation to get to the epicentre of the disaster to help those who may not be able to help themselves, there are even more averages Joes and Janes who continue life as per routine.  We crowd into buses and trains and trudge to work.  The ‘rat race’ continues.  We exchange pleasantries, make a few calls and type on our computers.  We go home, eat dinner, watch the news for new events, go to sleep and repeat the next day.  We live in our own bubble, watching the news, but not really feeling it.  It’s like we live on a totally different world and what isn’t immediately in front of us is a million miles away.

People watch as a huge wave crashes over peoples lives and livelihoods and thinks ‘Japan stocks are going to plummet now, if I can jump on that band wagon now, I’ll be rich once they get back and I am sure they will bounce back in a few years…’  This information era has provided us with the ease of seeing our world around us, but has made us a little too ‘robotic’ on the inside.

I know for a fact that as people worry for their loved ones in Japan, I am worrying about the problems between my loved ones, the job that will end next month, the problems that will arise from unemployment, and the list goes on……

I hope that I can pull myself from the fast-lane of life and take the time to rewarm that ticker I call a heart to the important things in life: my family, my friends, and caring for people I don’t know and have yet to meet.

I hope you all will too. 

1 comment:

  1. Definitely agree with this post Jay! I was so upset in regards to the comments that were bluntly and ignorantly made. Some people still need some growing up to do.

    I'm overjoyed though and humbled to see how many people have stepped up to help aid Japan. It's amazing to see, and a blessing to see that there are people who do care. I guess we just gotta continue to support Japan with financial aid, as well as prayers :) He will see them through!

    One of my former high school teachers passed away a few days ago. And he left behind 3 kids, that are still so young, and his wife who was also a former teacher of mine. It was so sudden that it took everyone by surprise. Noone expected it. He had passed away in his sleep. Makes you really reevaluate and think.. what am I doing with my life, and all the things I care about that honestly, some don't even really matter. Really made me realize that anything can happen at anytime. Who knows what'll happen tomorrow? But it definitely made me prioritize my life a little more, and who/what I choose to spend my time with.

    ReplyDelete